About Southern Research
Southern Research is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization with nearly 500 scientists and engineers working across four divisions: Drug Discovery, Drug Development, Engineering, and Energy & Environment.
- We’re developing 18 drugs to combat various forms of cancer, ALS, Alzheimer’s, diabetes, kidney disease, Parkinson’s and tuberculosis, among others.
- We’ve developed 20 other drugs, including seven FDA-approved cancer drugs—a number rivaling any other U.S. research institute.
- We’re developing new medical devices.
- We’re helping to launch manned missions to Mars.
- We’re making the air and water cleaner here on Earth.
- We’re helping to keep the men and women of our military safe from harm.
We work on behalf of the National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Department of Energy, NASA, hospitals, major aerospace firms, utility companies, and other private and government organizations as we solve the world’s hardest problems.
Southern Research is headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, with additional laboratories and offices in Wilsonville and Huntsville, Alabama, Frederick, Md., Durham, N.C., Houston, Texas, and Cartersville, Ga. The research institute was established in 1941.